Japanese Government

Alien Registration

All foreign nationals must apply for an Alien Registration Card at the local public office within 14 days of moving into your new home.
You will need your passport, 2 passport-sized photos, and your housing contract. You will need to fill out a form and pay a small registration fee. Once your card is ready, they will take a fingerprint of your right index finger.

Drivers License

If you do not obtain an International Drivers Permit in your home country (highly recommended), you will need to get a Japanese drivers license before operating any motor vehicle.
For the license you are required to take a written test and driving exam. You will need to bring your valid foreign drivers license, passport, and alien registration card. The written test is available in English or Japanese. The road test is only in Japanese.

Tips for the Driving Test:

  • The test will be given on the test track.
  • Perform a thorough inspection of the car.
  • The bushes are buildings, so stop at all intersections that have bushes or fences. Yield at all other unmarked intersections.
  • Dress for a business meeting.

[print-me target="body"]

Reset password

Enter your email address and we will send you a link to change your password.

Scroll to Top