Getting Settled

You have found your house and now it is time to settle in. Before you get too settled though, there are a few things you will need to take care of once you move into your new home. Also you are probably wondering about where to get many of your daily needs taken care, finding the right school for the kids, where to get healthcare, as well as, other issues you took for granted back at home. We hope the links provided below will help you to solve many of these problems.

Before You Get a Home

Prior to signing a contract there are a few things you need to know and think about regarding rental regulations and customs in Japan. Understanding these differences and planning ahead will help to solve many of the problems that may arise in the future regarding your new home.

Key Contacts

(all numbers in 03 area code except where indicated)

Television Services

When looking for housing, you will want to know what television options are available in your area. Ask the realtor showing you housing what kind of television system is available and possible in the apartment or house you are considering. Some services may be included in the apartment rent and you may also choose to subscribe to other systems.


You have everything unpacked and now it’s time to stock up on some groceries. Where you go to fill the larder can be a troubling experience at first. But once you get to know the ins and outs of what Tokyo has to offer, you’ll be wishing your own hometown had the variety of foodstuffs that is available to meet the needs of everyone in your household.


You may find that healthcare providers are very different than what you are used to in your home country. The Japanese healthcare system is based around the socialized medicine model, making it a very inexpensive way to stay receive healthcare. However, there are some trade-offs.


There are many outstanding schools for foreign students of all ages. Below are links or addresses to many of the schools located in the Tokyo area.

Japanese Government

All foreign nationals must apply for an Alien Registration Card at the local public office within 14 days of moving into your new home.
You will need your passport, 2 passport-sized photos, and your housing contract. You will need to fill out a form and pay a small registration fee. Once your card is ready, they will take a fingerprint of your right index finger.

Housing Damage

The majority of owners stipulate in their contracts that the apartment or house must be returned to them in the original condition – meaning, essentially unchanged from the beginning of the lease. If the apartment or house is brand new or if the carpet, wall paper or paint was new when you moved in, you will be responsible for any stains, marks, scratches, nicks, etc. No consideration of the high rent paid over two or three years is given when damage is assessed.

Housing Issues: What do you have to know?

Rent is paid in advance usually by the end of the month preceding that for which rent is due.
The standard realtor’s commission is one month’s rent.

Scroll to Top